Why You Should Meditate, and How to Get Started
Meditating regularly can have noticeable benefits:
- Reduces stress and signs of aging
- Helps you feel connected
- Increases your attention span, energy, and brain functionality
- Boosts your immunity and metabolism
- Helps you fall asleep faster and improves your overall sleep quality
- Improves your mental health, decreasing anxiety, and provides emotional stability
Some tips to get you started:
- Choose a convenient time: Try first thing in the morning, or incorporate it into your bedtime routine. If you’re busy you may want to set aside a designated time that works for you.
- Find a quiet, comfortable space: Somewhere you won’t be disturbed or interrupted. Get comfortable in your favourite chair, sit outside, or lay down in bed.
- Start with a warm-up: Do a few stretches to ease any tension in your body helping you to relax.
- Just breathe: Take a few deep breaths, inhaling and exhaling slowly.
- Engage your senses: Burn some incense, light some candles, or spray your favourite essential oil. Play ambient music, or turn on a fan to help cancel out any distracting background noise. Visit YouTube for guided meditations and relaxing music.
- Quiet the mind: A quiet mind is key. Try visualizing a suitcase. Picture yourself putting all your ‘baggage’ in the suitcase and zipping it up before you begin.
- Try a mantra: If you’re struggling with intrusive thoughts try repeating an affirmation or mantra. Mala beads are also a great way to fine tune your focus and keep you on the right track.
Practice makes perfect. Experiment and find out what works for you. Don’t be discouraged if it’s difficult at first, just try a couple minutes to start. Remember, meditation is more about how often you do it, not how long.